Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Adventures in Freezer Jam


I mentioned our trip to the berry farm a few weeks ago...and I have to admit, one of my main reasons for wanting to go was to stock my freezer with strawberry jam.  (And of course, Jen's comment on that post made me smile...because by the end of that Thursday when we picked berries, I had a counter full of jarred jam.)

It's such an easy process...if you have the freezer space, you must try sometime this summer! I'm hoping to make some blackberry jam soon too!


Don't freshly washed strawberries just look beautiful?


The hardest part of freezer jam is washing all the jars & lids...and hulling the strawberries. 
Like I said, it's a simple process. Have no fear.

Strawberry Freezer Jam

2 cups fresh strawberries, crushed
4 cups sugar
1 package Sure Jell 100% Natural Fruit Pectin
3/4 cup water

1. In a bowl, stir together strawberries and sugar. Let stand for 10 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, place water in a medium saucepan and pour pectin, stirring to combine.  Bring the mixture to a boil over medium-high heat and allow to boil for one minute.
3. Pour the water/pectin mixture over the strawberries and stir well to combine.  
4. Using a canning funnel, pour strawberry jam into jam jars, leaving 1/2 inch of space from top of jar to allow for expansion while freezing. Clean the edges of any spills and secure lids in place.  Allow to sit at room temperature for 24 hours.
5. Place jam in the freezer until ready for use.

If I remember correctly, this recipe about yielded 5 8 oz. jars of jam for me.  I made several recipes! I love the bright red color...so much prettier than what you can buy in the stores!


 Of course, the easiest part of making jam is enjoying it!  We are a PB & strawberry jam family...


And one of those jars doesn't last very long in our house! 

What do you eat with your peanut butter?  And what is your favorite kind of jam/jelly/preserves? 

4 comments:

Lilith Eeckels said...

LOVE homemade jam!!!

Brandy Layton said...

Apricot preserves hands down! But strawberry is on my list too!

Christa said...

I would love to do that! I love homemade jam!!

Jen Kershner said...

I wish we were neighbors. I could bake you a fresh boule and you could make me some freezer jam. We could exchange them and sit and have a feast on the porch. Perfect!

 

© 2011. All Rights Reserved. | Prefab Blog Design By Penny Lane Designs