Friday, December 02, 2011

My December Daily

Each year, since moving to Oklahoma, I have spent the month of December (as well as weeks afterwards) on a project that I love.  

The December Daily.  It's a mini-album concept made popular by Ali Edwards, which you can read about it detail on her blog.  But for me, this project ultimately means slowing down to really capture the special month of December...a month full of festivity, family, and the celebration of Christ's birth.  It has helped me in the past be more organized in planning our family activities during the Advent season. And it has captured and preserved precious memories from years past that I enjoy returning to each December.

The basic idea is to create a daily album before December begins so that each day in December, you can spend more time creating memories than creating album pages from scratch.  This year, I purchased a December kit from Hello, Forever, which included pages for the base of the album, as well as embellishments. 

I was inspired from some Pinterest images, as well as the colors in the kit, to use a vintage book as the cover for album...I was delighted to find this one for a song at a local antique/thrift store.  The colors and the "Merry Voices" title worked perfectly for a Christmas album cover, don't you think?


I covered part of the book with some mistable scalloped ribbon from Pink Paislee, misted it with Studio Calico's Mister Huey Shine (which you can't really see in the picture, but it has the softest shimmery effect in person), added a velvet ribbon and a "Dec 2011" badge from Ormolu.  I'm not in love with the 3" binder rings...but I think it will be the easiest binding to use while creating the album...and I'll attempt something else once it's complete.


I think I'll share pages here and there throughout the month...so here's a peek at the beginning, the title page. (And I'm not done with that tag yet...still thinking!)


And the back of the title page.  I just love that quote.

I have never completed this project in December...and while I'd love to this year, we'll just have to see how it goes.  I take pictures each day...and write down stories that I want to remember, so that I can return to my notes at a later time if necessary.

If you're doing something similar to record this month, please leave a link in the comments...I'd love to see your projects!


3 comments:

Jen Kershner said...

I love it! I don't think I was aware of Dec daily til last year when it was too late and about 2 weeks ago it popped into my head so I've been trying to gather up materials and taking pics and journaling and I'm just hoping I can pull it all together. It is the main thing I want to focus on next week. I'm also going to do the rings.

Unknown said...

This is fabulous! I love the cover! I don't do a DD only because I spend the month of December making calendars for my mom and mother in law. I create 24 8.5x11 layouts that they ever month they are looking at a new layout and then they put it in their album when they are finished!! I think it is a great album for the grand parents to have of their grand kids and what they did during the year.

Keshet said...

Wow, love it so far, KL!

 

© 2011. All Rights Reserved. | Prefab Blog Design By Penny Lane Designs