Wednesday, January 21, 2009

I still love pumpkins in January--

--not on my porch but in my food, of course!

Just a quick post to share a really yummy recipe. I mean so yummy that you'll be sad when they're gone.

A friend gave a plate of these scones to us on Christmas Eve...and I am so glad that she did. You see, my friend Shawna is always talking on her blog about these pumpkin scones she gets at a favorite place in New York...and every time I read about them, I want to fly to visit her just to taste these scones that MUST be absolutely fantastic. (Well, that and to get to visit with one of my dearest friends!)

So my friend Kim made these for us and I think they're delicious and I can't wait for Shawna to try them and tell me if they're as good (or better!) as the ones in New York! They have just the slightest hint of pumpkin--so it's not overpowering or out-of-season--just really, really good! And the cranberry butter is just yummy...a perfect complement!

Pumpkin Scones with Berry Butter

2 1/4 cup flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 cup chilled butter, cut in small pieces
1 egg, beaten
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 cup pumpkin puree
1/3 cup milk

1. Combine dry ingredients. Cut in butter with pastry blender until mix resembles coarse crumbs. Make a well in the center of the dry mix and set aside.

2. Combine egg, pumpkin puree, and milk in another bowl. Add to the dry mixture all at once. Stir with a fork until moistened.

3. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead 10-12 times until nearly smooth, adding more flour if necessary. Pat into an 8-inch circle. Cut into 12 wedges. Place on an ungreased baking sheet and bake at 400 degrees for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove the scones and cool on wire rack for 5 minutes. Serve warm with berry butter.

Berry Butter

2 Tbsp. dried cranberries or blueberries
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup boiling water
3 Tbsp. powdered sugar

1. Combine berries and water in a small bowl. Let stand for 10 minutes. Drain well and finely chop.

2. Stir together butter, powdered sugar, and berries. Cover and chill at least one hour before serving.

2 comments:

Christina said...

this looks SOOOO good!!

Shawna said...

i keep talking about them so that you WILL come fly in and see me. it's not working. :(

this recipe sounds so good. i think i just might have to make them tomorrow. i love you and love that we both love pumpkin scones with a passion.

 

© 2011. All Rights Reserved. | Prefab Blog Design By Penny Lane Designs